Tuesday, July 17, 2012

LUCY IS HOME!!!

The day has finally arrived.  After just 26 days in the NICU, the Littlest Warrior came home yesterday.  There simply are no words to describe how happy we are.  We've been through SO much to get to this point.  Six months of knowing about her diagnosis and wondering how things will turn out, 6 weeks of bedrest in the hospital, and 3 and a half weeks of separation from the new love of our life.  And just like that, we are regular parents experiencing the joys and challenges of having a newborn at home!  Our first day was spent staring and marveling at our new roommate, learning her cues, cuddling, kissing, feeding, diapering, burping, and sleeping.  She had so many people taking care of her in the NICU, but I think she is starting to figure out that we're here to stay.  A wonderful adventure is just beginning, and it is absolutely exhilarating.  :)

We'd like to spend the next few days focusing on Lucy and making up for lost time, so I probably won't post every day.  But I'll try not to keep you hanging for too long.  From the bottom of our hearts, thank you again to everyone for your love and support!

Love,
Heidi, Erik, and Lucy

Ready to go!

First time holding a completely tubeless, cordless Lucy.

Saying goodbye.

She loves her swing!

Goose meets his little sister.

Maverick's turn.

Coming in for a closer look.

Friend or foe?  The jury is still out.

Snuggling.

Trying to tell Dad something?

Chillin' with Dad.




9 comments:

  1. No words... Just completely amazing! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!! We're so happy for you all!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOME SWEEEEEEEEEET HOME! Can't read your blog again, I cry everytime. Love you, happy Mekkelson FAMILY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! So happy she's home! Great times are coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the pictures, they're awesome :) Happy for little Lucy to be home !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! We are so happy for you guys.

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey H!
    My name is Michelle and I am 36 weeks Pregnant with my little gastro girl and apparently my husband has been following your blog this WHOLE time and failed to tell me!!! ((humph!!)) I just discovered you YESTERDAY and I read every blog post in order! How inspiring!!! Your blog was just what I needed! Even though I read it at work and cried at every single post (thanks hormones). But they were happy tears and i-dont-feel-so-alone tears and omg-that-baby-is-so-stinkin-cute tears. So, I would just like to say THANK YOU! Thank you times a million for posting every little detail. Thank you for giving me more of an idea of What to expect when your expecting (because that book blows and your blog is way better) a gastro baby. I'm so excited for your family and I'm hoping for just as fabulous a success story with my little girl! Plus your idea of keeping a blog to keep friends and family informed is brilliant! Somehow no one I know seems to understand that they wont be coming to the hospital to hold her the moment she's born. So, stay tuned for the Hospital-to-Home blog of Sarie Noelle in just a couple weeks!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, congrats on your pregnancy and thank you SO much for your comment! I say it a lot but it really means a lot to me to know that I'm helping other gastro moms. I found a blog myself when I was pregnant that really helped take me from a dark place to a place of hope. That one is www.andherecomesthesun.com (her first son had gastroschsis - you have to go back to the 2010 archives). I know everyone's experience is different but just having some idea of how it will go really helps. For what it's worth, there are two things I really learned from our experience. First, I often saw on message boards that you should "hope for the best but expect the worst," and I think that's bullshit. I think you should be aware of the worst but believe in your heart with every ounce of faith that you have that everything will be okay. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy worrying about things that will probably never happen. I truly believe your baby feels your energy both when you're pregnant and after she's born, and she can feel when you believe in her. Second, know that it will be hard, but in the end it will just be a few weeks of your life, and in the grand scheme of things that's not that long. Not every day will be perfect. There will be ups and downs and that's just part of the process. But it won't be forever and it WILL end. Just remember that when times get tough. I wish you and your family all the best and will be thinking of you! I would also love to read Sarie's blog if you want to share the link. Cute name btw! Hang in there, enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, and be excited that you're moving to the next phase of your journey! xo

      Delete
  8. I like the kitty pics. Please post more.

    ReplyDelete