Friday, July 13, 2012

In the Home Stretch!

Lucy is up to 45 mls per feeding and will hit her target feeding volume in the next day or two.  She's pooping on her own (without the help of suppositories).  She's gaining a couple of ounces a day and now weighs 6 lbs, 3 oz.  The hole is looking great.  Finally, after all this time, we are starting to hear mention of the word every NICU parent dreams of: DISCHARGE!!!  Barring any unusual developments, it is looking like Lucy will go home next week, possibly even as early as Monday!!!  This weekend we'll try breastfeeding to see how she does with "on demand" feedings.  Even if the breastfeeding takes a while she could still go home because she's successfully drinking from the bottle.  They will also remove her only remaining IV, the PIC line that gives her intravenous food, some time this weekend.  Today the surgeon taught me how to change the dressing and gave me supplies to practice at home.  They also scheduled her hearing exam (which every newborn gets before they go home) and a car seat test.  The wheels are officially in motion to get this baby home! 

To be honest, I don't think it's registered yet that Lucy could be home in a matter of days.  I feel like my brain won't let me get too excited until the moment we walk out of the hospital.  When you've been waiting for something this big for this long, it's hard to switch out of survival mode and into celebration mode.  The fact that she might make it home so quickly (less than 4 weeks, when most gastro babies take 6-8 weeks) still seems too good to be true.  I'm sure it will hit me once we get her home, but until then I'm staying cautiously optimistic and trying not to get my hopes up too much.  

Stay tuned for some (hopefully!) major updates in the next few days! 

Snuggling after breakfast


6 comments:

  1. Wha?!?!?! This is crazy, amazeballs, spectacular news!!!!!!!!!! What a champ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too good... it must be true!
    CELEBRATE, starting NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing news! I have been following your blog for a few days! I've been checking in everyday to see how the baby is doing. I am so happy for you! I will be 32 weeks pregnant this week and have been on bed rest for low amniotic fluid since may 27! They have yet to admit me but keeping an eye on my levels. Our baby girl is due sept 12, but will probably deliver sooner depending on how her bowel looks on ultrasound! She is also breech! I just wanted to let you know I have enjoyed your story and will keep you and Lucy in our prayers! I hope you can go home ASAP! Please continue to update on her and post pictures because your story has been uplifting for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerrica - thank you so much for your comment! It means so much to me. It is crazy how similar our stories are! Bedrest is one of the toughest things I could imagine doing. Just remember that even though it feels like it will go on forever, when it's all over it will seem like a blip on the radar screen. You're a wonderful mom already and your daughter is lucky to have you as a mom! I wish you all the best and please keep in touch!

      Delete
  4. Dear Heidi,Erik, and Jerrica-
    I am so excited to hear that Lucy is doing so well. I am a first time Grandma. I would like everyone to know how special Heidi, Erik, and Lucy are to us. I know they have been through a lot. I am sure Jerrica and baby well get through this too! We have been blessed with Lucy, and I have a feeling Jerrica will be blessed with a miracle baby too!! Please keep us posted on your progress!! Lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete