Monday, July 30, 2012

Gastroschisis Awareness Day

I saw on the Babycenter forum that today is Gastroschisis Awareness Day so I thought I would take this opportunity to send a virtual hug to all the other families out there who have been affected by this rare birth defect, the cause of which is still unknown.  If you would like to know more about gastroschisis or support gastroschisis research, visit http://www.averysangels.org/.  There is a special place in my heart for all gastro babies, who are the strongest, most amazing little people.  Among them are Baby Sarie, Baby Ava, and Baby Anthony, all of whom are in the NICU now and getting one step closer each day to coming home.  I think about you guys every day and my heart yearns for you all to be home with your families very, very soon! 

I was 12 weeks pregnant when we found out about Lucy's gastroschisis at my NT scan.  We were given the option to terminate the pregnancy, try again for a "normal" baby, and avoid all the stress, uncertainty, and heartache that was in store for us.  While I respect every person's decision to do what is right for them, this was never an option for us.  Not for one second.  When I look at Lucy today, it gives me goosebumps to think that this beautiful, perfect little human being could have never been.  What else can I say?  Life is beautiful, we are truly blessed, and if we could go back and do it all over again we wouldn't change a thing, because this was our path and this is how we got our Lucy. 

Here is a video I took tonight.  Nothing special, just a moment in time to celebrate the life of our little miracle baby. We love you, Lucille.


2 comments:

  1. She's so adorable :) and she has the best, loving and awesome parents ever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the video! More please! Who's washing dishes in the background?

    ReplyDelete