Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Growth Update


Today was a rough day.  I had an ultrasound to measure for growth and they estimated that the Littlest Warrior weighs 3.5 lbs.  The average baby at her gestational age weighs around 4.75 lbs.  The doctors have always warned us that she will be small, as growth restriction is one of the most common complications with gastroschisis.  Also, weight estimates with gastro babies are notoriously low and it’s very common for them to weigh more at birth than what was previously estimated.  That’s because one of the three inputs in the estimate is abdominal circumference, which is obviously smaller for gastro babies.  

Even though I know all this, I was still hoping for at least 4 lbs.  I think all the highs and lows, or the pregnancy hormones (or both) are starting to take their toll on me.  I was pretty upset and in tears after the ultrasound.  Then they put the Littlest Warrior on the monitor and she didn’t do as well as she usually does.  She had a couple of short decelerations and a long stretch when her heart rate was racing pretty fast without any variation.  The nurses and my doctor said that every baby has bad stretches, and that she’s not going to be perfect every time.  But they are keeping me on continuous monitoring until tomorrow to be cautious.  Fortunately she is back to her normal self now.  In my infinite medical wisdom, I’ve surmised that she was able to sense my stress and that made her a little stressed, too.  

Tomorrow we’ll meet with my perinatologist to see what he thinks about the growth restriction and whether that changes our course of action.  I should have more information after that.  For now I've got an America's Next Top Model finale to watch, which will hopefully chase these blues away! 

3 comments:

  1. Aaaaaw, Heidi, my heart is with you guys. I can't wait to know what your perinatologist says. I have faith that everything will be fine at the end, despite the fact that there are downsides to go through ... and it's hard :(

    I'll call you today (tonight for me, morning for you).
    Love you xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there girl. The lil warrior may be small but she is mighty! Just remember the best things come in small packages. She knows when her momma is down and rest assured, one day soon you'll be able to wrap your arms around her for comfort.

    Much love to all the Schmekkels <3 XOXO

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Daughter,
    I am thinking of the three of you all the time. During the day, I look at a picture of a very beautiful pregnant daughter several times. Yes, this is where it gets kinda rough. I am sure the baby, you, and Erik can make it through this with flying colors! Sounds like the Littlest Warrior is a chip off the old block! Hang in there :)
    Love Mom McWhorter

    ReplyDelete